An outbreak of Cholera has been confirmed in Kaduna. The State Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology; Mr. Jafaru Sani made the confirmation when he paid a visit to the hospitalized patients from Government Girls Secondary School (GGSS), Kawo. Mr. Sani disclosed that over forty students have been hospitalized out of about fifty-five cases that have been reported.
The incident began on Sunday when some students reported that they were experiencing stomach ache and they began to vomit not long after. One of the students died after being taken to a private hospital for treatment while another thirty nine others were hospitalized after the outbreak.
Initially, the deputy director of the Kaduna State Disease Control Agency in Kaduna North local government had said that “We have 39 cases on admission due to diarrhea and vomiting. We have yet to confirm the real cause but there are a lot of contamination around the water source the students are using which may be a serious contributory factor”. The outbreak of Cholera was however confirmed by the commissioner.
We received a report early this morning of a suspected outbreak of Cholera. The Ministry of Education promptly contacted the Ministry of Health and Human Services who responded by sending a team of medical personnel to bring immediate intervention to the students. As it is now, we are told in the morning, fifty five of the students were affected and now about forty of them have been admitted at the General Hospital, Kawo. Fifteen have been discharged and are on their way to their various homes for further treatment,” he said.
Mr. Sani while responding to questions from journalists at the school assured the residents of Kaduna that the situation was being monitored and completely under control. Although he expressed his sympathies over the death of the student, he explained that fifteen of the girls admitted had been discharged from the hospital. He also explained the possible cause of the outbreak as the absence of functional treated borehole for provision of potable water.
“That led some of the students to be using the alternative wells we have in the school. We suspect that it is from these wells that some of them got infected,” he said.