Home News 2019 Budget presented at Kaduna Town Hall Meeting

2019 Budget presented at Kaduna Town Hall Meeting

The draft shows that the 2019 budget for Kaduna state has more than N64.4 billion set aside for recurrent expenditure representing 41.5 percent of the budget. The amount set aside for capital projects is N90.7 billion and that makes up the remaining 58.5 percent.

619
0
peace-committees-formed

The 2019 budget of Kaduna state has been drawn up and presented to the public for scrutiny before being sent to the legislators for approval and signing. This draft of the budget was presented by the Kaduna state commissioner for Budget and Planning, Mr. Muhammad Sani-Abdullahi. The 2019 budget is named “budget of continuity” as it is aimed to continue the development and progress of Kaduna state under Governor Nasir El-Rufai.

The draft disclosed that the 2019 budget for Kaduna state has more than N64.4 billion set aside for recurrent expenditure representing 41.5 percent of the budget. The amount set aside for capital projects is N90.7 billion and that makes up the remaining 58.5 percent. The commissioner assured all Kaduna residents that the budget fully reflects the projects and policies planned by the Kaduna State government for the coming year.

“We are here to present to you our 2019–2021 budgets which are is based on the Kaduna State Development Plan. You will recall that the plan was developed with your inputs and we have over the past three years’ taken action on the plan through the budget. Total capital investment in 2016 was N62.2 billion compared to N27.6 billion in 2015, an increase of 125%. This is the highest capital investment in any one year in the history of democratic Kaduna State.

“In 2016, the recurrent expenditure witnessed a considerable reduction in personnel cost from N26.8 billion in 2015 to N21.8 billion in 2016, translating into a savings of over N5 billion, funds that were immediately reallocated to our works and education ministries. Our first full year budget was the 2016 budget that tried to significantly reduce the cost of governance and shift the priority to capital investments in rebuilding the state’s dilapidated infrastructure and providing jobs for our teeming youth.”

Speaking on the budget for continuity, Governor El-Rufai urged all residents of Kaduna state to make observations and discuss the budget. He explained that the aim of the town hall meeting was to ensure that the projects lined up in the budget were people-centered. Represented by the deputy governor, Arch. Bala Bantex, the governor said that “The presentation would strengthen the state budget and promote wider government policies”